Tarbert has benefited from environmental and visual enhancements through the work of the residents and the Tarbert Development Association – Tidy Towns Committee. While we have held our position, being second to Sneem in our category, for many years now we are being challenged by other towns to retain our position within the county of Kerry which has an exceptional record in the Tidy Towns competition.
Tarbert has been entering the Tidy Towns competition for over twenty years now.
Among the tasks undertaken during the intervening years were:
- Landscaping and planting in the town and surrounding area
- Laying out of beds for shrubs and flowers
- Controlling weeds and overgrowth
- Organising the collection of litter
- Promoting recycling .
- Developing a community playground
- Establishing the John F Leslie Woodland Walk.
- Developing the Forge Park.
- Installing street furniture.
- Carrying out an Ecological Study of the John F Leslie Wood.
- Carrying out a Feasibility Study for the Restoration and Rehabilitation of the Green River.
- Establishing a Heritage Trail – A walk through History and Heritage.
- Installing 12 Bronze plaques in the windows of Russell’s Store.
- Drawing up short and long term plans
- Producing information brochures.
- Installing Christmas trees and lighting.
- Carrying out general maintenance.
- Creation of Murals at the old creamery.
- Establishing a Bird Hide on the Estuary shore line.
- Installing bird and Bat boxes in the wood.
- Developing and re-developing the Picnic area.
- Erecting a memorial to remember the 1893 drowning tragedy.
- Erecting a memorial to the fallen Tarbertians of the World Wars
- Erecting historical plaques in appropriate locations.
- Drawing up a Biodiversity Plan for Tarbert.
Tarbert Tidy Towns has sought to embrace the holistic ethos of the current Tidy Towns competition focusing on improving the appearance of Tarbert through projects that are sustainable, in keeping with the architectural environment and complementary to the town’s local heritage. We are always looking for volunteers to join us for an hour or two to make the town a nicer place to live, work and visit.