Tarbert had its own military regiment, the loyal Tarbert Fencibles. This infantry regiment was raised by Sir Edward Leslie in July 1798. Recruits were drawn mainly from counties Kerry and Limerick. The Fencibles were primarily home guard regiments for the defence of Ireland and England in the event of a French invasion. The Tarbert Fencibles served in the South of England and the Channel Islands. Over 200 volunteers from the regiment took part in the war in Holland against France and her allies. Like other Fencible regiments the Tarbert regiment was disbanded in 1802 at Plymouth. Today the regimental flag is on display in the Defence museum in Stephen’s Barracks in Kilkenny City.
Written by: Patrick Lynch